Tuesday, May 1, 2012

EDCHAT POST #2


Natural Born Teachers

One of the more interesting comments/topics presented during this week’s edchat was the question of whether the participants felt that there was such a thing as “a natural born teacher”. My opinion on this is that teachers need to be leaders, and yes some people possess that special “something” that helps them succeed in leading others, but these are few and far between. The better, more complete answer might be that although we may have the basic foundation for becoming a strong leader or teacher, it is much more dependent upon being taught how to lead, and given strong examples to emulate.
The big difference between leaders and teachers is that to be a teacher you must be a leader and have the ability to convey valuable information to audiences quickly and effectively. Knowing what information is critical to a class’ learning and being able to present that information in a digestible fashion can prove to be the greatest hurdle prospective and seasoned teachers face. I myself do not pretend to have all of the answers, I only know what I have observed in others, and feedback provided to me from those who have critiqued my own teaching methods.
      I believe that a skill such as teaching, like any other skill can atrophy over time and needs attention to remain at a constant level of effectiveness. This is where a PLC or PLN can come into play. Through collaboration and communication with others in the profession, teachers can be constantly exploring new ways of presenting information to their students. Just as the information we teach gradually changes, so should our pedagogical style. Teaching is a never ending evolution and refinement of leadership and communication skills. I personally hope to be a better teacher on my last day of teaching than I was the day before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment