Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Bottom Line


Over the past six months of teaching I have frequently reminded my students and occasionally myself what the reason is for them being in my class. It isn’t to get good grades, nor is it to please their parents. The reason that seems to get muddled by all of its byproducts is the attainment of knowledge and understanding. I know this sounds obvious and simple, but it is amazing how often we lose sight of this while interacting with students. I completely understand that students want to get good grades. I strive for this as well in any class I am enrolled in. But when I remind students that learning is the true reason why they are in the seats, they look at me like I am inconveniencing them with some silly fact.
            The reason I need to occasionally remind myself about this, is that sometimes a student might ask me a question that isn’t directly connected to the lesson being taught, but is nonetheless a valid inquiry based on a real desire to know more about a particular subject. With time always being a commodity I am short of, I will try to give a brief answer that I think satisfies the student’s question and quickly move back to the subject at hand. This particular scenario came up just the other day when I was discussing the distances between stars and the speed of light. I had a student ask me about my feelings on UFOs and whether I thought we might ever visit other solar systems. I answered the question which was asked, but looking back, I feel I may have missed a tremendous opportunity to provide additional information, not just to this student, but to the entire class. My simple answer of the distances being so vast could have been better executed if I were to go through the math of question. I could have had the class, as a group provide the information about how far light travels in a single year (approximately 5.9 trillion miles), and let them decide whether they felt we would ever make such a journey. Instead, I was focused on cramming the last few hours of review in prior to their CST exams and potentially lost a teaching/learning moment that might have lasted them the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment