Monday, April 9, 2012

Embracing Our Inner Nerd!


 Each time I am introduced to a new class, I try to think of something interesting to say that might inspire them, and have them looking forward to being in my class. I have developed a relatively generic speech that explains what I expect of my students, and the general policies of the classroom. However, I have recently decided to modify my introductions to include something that I hope becomes even more important during the course of instruction. I now ask them to embrace their inner nerd. I tell them that it’s alright to actually think some of this is cool.  I go on to explain that I try my hardest to present material that at least I find interesting and cool. I try to explain to them that they shouldn’t feel bad for quietly thinking or saying to themselves, “That’s cool”. I then go on to explain that applause will not be required, unless of course they are truly moved to provide it.
           
The other point that I try to accentuate is that it is completely OK to come up with a wrong answer when I ask for input. I usually try to relieve any fear of looking foolish in front of their peers by assuring them that after the next three years, they may never see another student in that particular class again. Although I am going for a laugh at this point, I do assure them that high school does not predict the rest of their lives, and that they should have nothing to fear while in my class. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your point about making kids feel comfortable about not worrying about giving the wrong answer. This insecure paralysis is a shame, but definitely something that can be worked on.

    ReplyDelete